Running concurrently with the Orkney Conductors' Course the course provides a unique opportunity for the student composers to collaborate with eight emerging professional conductors. There is also a collaborative workshop with the Orkney Writers’ Course. Students are offered complimentary tickets to many Festival performances.
Individual tuition gives each composer the chance to present scores to both Course Directors, allowing for critical comment and feedback on a one-to-one basis.
New works will be developed and rehearsed with the visting ensemble and performed at the St Magnus International Festival. Each composer’s work will be conducted in the final performance by an Orkney Conductors' Course participant and a recording of the resulting Festival Concert will be available to students on completion of the course.
Sessions will include:
- One-to-one tuition by the course directors
- Presentation/discussion of participants' music
- Rehearsal and Festival performance of participants’ work by the Festival Ensemble
- Workshops with Rafal Luc and the BBC Singers
- Interactive workshop with Orkney Writers’ Course
- Seminars on score presentation and promotion
- Workshop with Hear my Music
- Interaction with Orkney Conductors’ Course: OCC conductors to conduct newly composed works in Festival performance
- Session with Orchestra managers